Wednesday, January 28, 2015

VL Magazine Artist of the Day is John Whitton Bria

© Last Light, Carmel, California By John Whitton Bria

© Shawangun Series Sunset from Sky Top By John Whitton Bria
© Adirondack Series - The Barkeater Cliffs By John Whitton Bria

"Crashing against the rocks, the wave rises up in a fan of spray.  I take a quick step back and lower my brush.  Out of range of the wave, I will stay dry.  I am in the calm of my studio, but I want the painting on my easel to evoke the live energy of the event. 


Landscape painters often depict the lay of the land in a broad view.  With my current work, I narrow the field of vision.  Taking the focus of the eye's direct gaze, I put the viewer right in the thick of it whether the subject is the raw beauty of a Pacific wave, the remoteness of an Adirondack summit, or the serenity of local fields and a small nearby pond.



Calling myself a painterly realist, I keep the architecture of the landscape absolutely accurate and recognizable, but use my paint with a free hand, because for me, the thrill of painting is about the paint. " - John Whitton Bira



No comments:

Post a Comment