Thursday, September 26, 2013

Nocona Burgess is Visual Language Magazine Artist of the Day

© Full Moon - Ghost Dog By Nocona Burgess

© Iron Scare In Red By Nocona Burgess

© Black Hat - Ute By Nocona Burgess

"I paint from historical photos of Native Americans; I’ve always had a passion for history. I grew up learning the history of my Comanche and Kiowa people. I was also encouraged to read and to find out more on my own. This was combined with my love of art. I started making art as soon as I could pick up a crayon. I recently was given a box of my drawings from my mother. These were from when I was around 3-4 years old: of course, they were Indians.  I’ve always wanted to tell a bit of a story of their lives. These were people; human beings that lived loved and fought. I never wanted my paintings to be just “Indian in a Blanket” type of art. I wanted people to see them and their story and histories and beauty and people. I try to avoid the stereotype or cultural cliché’s.  I’ve just always had a passion for those images and their stories." - Nocona Burgess





No comments:

Post a Comment