Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Donna Howell-Sickles is VL Magazine Artist of the Day

© And The Cowgirl Jumped Over The Moon By Donna Howell-Sickles

© Another Busy Day By Donna Howell-Sickles

© Stampede By Donna Howell-Sickles

"My fascination with the cowgirl image began in my last year of college. I received an old postcard from a friend in a typical art student trade. He brought over a large box of stuff including some of his own pottery.  Near the bottom of the box were several old postcards, one of a cowgirl c. 1935 seated on a horse captioned "Greetings from a Real Cowgirl from the Ole Southwest".  The image spoke to me and I had no idea why.  Although I had grown up on a farming ranching operation in Texas we never really thought of ourselves as Western.  I surrendered to the attraction and as I used the Cowgirl in my art and I slowly filled in the blanks about my fascination with the imagery." ~Donna Howell Sickles





http://www.donnahowellsickles.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment